Search This Blog

Sunday 16 May 2010

First swarm of the season

Took a swarm yesterday out of a beech hedge - 12 ft (4m) up.  Luckily, I had a stepladder and I was able to poke the lid of the nucleus box (in video) into the hedge and shake the swarm down into it.

It was in my friend Julie's garden, and she had gone out for the day, after phoning me.

I forgot to bring my old sheet with me, but as luck would have it, Julie had left a duvet cover on the line. See also in photo.

Mrs S was horrified - as was Julie, I think, but she was far too polite to say so. Well, I have washed it. What's more important, bagging a swarm of respecting a duvet cover?  One has to get one's priorities correct. :-)



Julie is a beekeeper too, by the way, but she didn't want this swarm. I'll look after it in the nuc box for a month, in case she changes her mind.

4 comments:

  1. hahaha! I love your priorities!
    Great catch on the swarm...I wonder if it came from one of Julie's hives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video post - I must try some of these myself.

    I've seen no swarms so far this year. There's usually a few in my street by this time of year due to the local hives (not mine) and the 2 feral colonies, but the latter did not make it through the winter I think, and the weather's been so cold I think swarming is a little delayed here in London.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post.....just don't tell Julie about their "bums in the air" while they were on her duvet! LOL.

    Hope I get a swarm at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have washed the duvet cover AND ironed it (that's a first). Nuc is doing well in my back garden. Friend Emma is buying a hive tomorrow to put the colony in. But where to put the hive?

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry but I now have to moderate comments after spam has been posted as comment. It's a nuisance.