Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Queen-raising with the punch method

I am attempting to make queens for four queenless hives by using the punch method of removing cells from a prolific donor hive and transplanting them into a queenless hive that will convert them into queen cells.

The photo below shows a super frame with the cells stuck onto the bottom rail using a hot knife and wax.

The next photo shows the donor frame, with holes where the punch has been used to remove the cells.
Now we wait 19 days until the cells are ready for harvesting and use in the queenless hives.  Well, that's the notion.  This is the first time that I have done this, so I am pessimistic.  The cells were hard to handle and I may have damaged them.

If you have used this method, let me know how you got on through the comments button.

3 comments:

  1. I'm interested to know what you used to punch out the cells? I've only grafted the 3-4 day old larve out and inserted them into cell cups. You can easily damage the larve by grafting but your punch method may be better? Dunno but glad you experimented for us to learn from and I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see a cell punch design on Dave Cushmans website: dave-cushman.net/bee. I used copper tube for the barrel and clear plastic tube for the nose piece. Wooden dowling was used for the plug. All items are available from most DIY stores. The plugs are fairly easy to make and work well. Good luck.
    Charles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephen,
    I'm wondering how the punch queens did. Sorry if I missed that post.

    ReplyDelete

I'm sorry but I now have to moderate comments after spam has been posted as comment. It's a nuisance.